Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday's Big Chill

Today definitely felt like mid November, cold and drizzly, and the space at Mellwood wasn't any warmer.  I think if we closed the big door that would help, and Nate said he might be able to bring some space heaters over.  It was also chilly on other levels, and I've corresponded to some of the "IUSARTCAR Enthusiasts" about the origins of that chill, which I suppose has been building for some time.  It's like the straw on the floor that we've been using to cover the oil spills, except today, there was one too many. Ouch!!!! My back!!!

I have no progress images to post, but I'm sure that Steve got some shots that will be 'slideshowing' soon.  I saw him pointing at some interesting subjects and was glad that there was some passion in the chill; it helped a lot.

Pasqualle needs some help mounting the GPS since we've arrived at a "don't cut into the dash" kind of place.  If the GPS can be carved to fit the contour of the dash it would be easier to mount.  Also, we have to figure out how to do the music box, because if it gets mounted, we'll lose the option of the music since the key is on the back; it also needs a little WD40.  The mannequins need to be joined, painted, mounted, and then morphed into the rest of the aesthetic (Nate, Adam, Jamie, Lisa). Can the 'airship' I got this weekend at the Flea Market be used (anyone)? Are the brushes going to adhere to the back door (Amanda, Kaitlin)? Can the stained glass get caulked on Thursday (Brent, Laurel)? Is the interior shaping up (Pasqualle, Julie, Sam, Rebecca, Amanda, Kristy, Kaitlin, Kate, Ben, Sarrah, Annie)? Is the hood going to happen (Rebecca, Julie,and Samantha) or are we rethinking that as well?  Are the tail lights getting a positive shape or a negative shape for the IU logo (Kaitlin, all)?  Did anyone get bumper colors to Ben (Kristy, Jamie)? Is there a schedule for reinstalling the bumpers (Ben, Randy)? Lots of details, many I'm sure I've missed here, and lots of things to think about and resolve in a short span of time.

Let's get past this chill and make the collective passion warm things up.

5 comments:

stevesquall said...

The airship looks far too good on the hood to not go there... Just my two cents.

R we there yet? said...

Sorry I missed the "Tuesday Big Chill." I have been in bed sick for several days. I am available to caulk the back window on Thursday, and also to help grout on Saturday. I would like to get Brent's help on the grout, but he can only work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We may have to hold off on the grout until next Tuesday!

This is what I know about the tail lights: Kaitlin has decided to create a positive of the IU logo. Jaimie Klein has offered to supply the "window tint-like" spray needed. Jaimie says there is a translucent spray that acts like window tint. Since he knows what it is, I asked him if he could bring a can to Mellwood. He agreed that he would.

I suggested to Kaitlin last night that we should cover the tail light in clear packing tape before spraying. This is the only way I could think of for us to test the paint on the tail light. If we don't like the effect then we can strip the tape off and come up with another idea. If we like it, then we can strip the tape and paint them permanently.

amandak said...

The design with the brushes on the back of the van started Tuesday. Kaitlin and I will check and see how well the adhesive worked. It could be possible we need to sand a wider area under the brushes...hopefully it's all goos! It would be nice to have more brushes...so i guess I'll be buying more. That's what we're doing...
Oh, the thingy from the flea market looks pretty friggin awesome on the hood! Bling bling on the artcar baby!

SuperJuice said...

I told Ben the colors we used. After talking to Scott, I went online and found a few Caravans at Pull-A-Part. I'm going to go there this weekend and see if they have any roof racks to hold the mannequins.

brian h. jones said...

Jamie and Steve, where did we land on the luggage rack and the typewriter?