Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday's Session

I didn't have my camera today, so no immediate images to post, but Steve got a bunch of shots that he'll soon have in his portfolio, so stay tuned.  Our progress was slower today since we had fewer workers on hand (hmmm), but I understand there will be another group work party on Saturday.

The back door is pulling together nicely and Amanda and Kaitlin gave that area more attention today, we may be ready to do some sealing on Saturday.  Lisa did some buffing on the stained glass to remove the grout film. Kristy made a big dent with the interior, and Amanda started doing some trim work with the flat black (the flat is for the interior and the gloss is for the exterior). Amanda also brought in a big bag of keys, so we'll definitely be able to find a place for them somewhere to further unlock imaginations.  Sarrah did more sanding on the mannequins to get them into a re-attachable place again after our Liquid Nails fiasco. Jamie stopped by with the luggage rack, maybe we'll be able to have a place for all those legs and arms once we get the rack attached, maybe painted, Jamie said he could do that.

That Blue tape was/is a real headache.  We pulled some off of areas that were not going to get any more spray paint, and it wouldn't come off.  It had become a semi-permanent part of the car.  I had to run to Home Depot to get some razor blades to scrape it off the glass.  I went ahead and took a bunch more off of areas that had been taped from some time.  If we have to re- tape areas that will be OK, at least we'll be able to get the fresher stuff off without it fighting back.  The black parts of the side windows, after they were uncovered,  are very...ummm...'van-like'. Something needs to happen in those areas.  What can we use on glass?  Are there 'special' markers that Rebecca could attack them with?  Also, I realized how important the eyeball and the mannequins are going to be in order to change the too-recognizable shape of the vehicle.  It needs some protrusions! The group decided that the areas between the roof and the back side panels would be a good piece of real estate to 'sign' the project.  The tail-lights will be a gold IU decaled symbol. Where are the bumpers?

There has been some back and forth discussion of the unveiling with several of you.  I am going to try to secure the round grassy area in front of the Library for that purpose, but I'm wondering if we should do it during finals week instead of December 4, given all that still has to be done to have a "finished" appearance.  Please discuss it and let me know your thoughts.  It was also discussed that NATE STORMER, because he has such a great name, should have some kind or role in that ceremony just so we can say: "NATE STORMER (snicker)!"  I'm open to any suggestions. Did I hear fog machine? Parade from Mellwood? A pre-unveiling at Mellwood?

Debra got a painting into the "NUDE" exhibition in Lexington and will need the van to make delivery of her work. I'm not sure of the dates yet, but will let you know.

So Saturday, what time?

11 comments:

amandak said...

ok, so the unveiling idea was just a thought and nates name came up b/c it sounded good with the thunder and lightning striking in the background with the fog machines, and the dunnah daaa music rollin...too much?

brian h. jones said...

No, it's not too much.

BrentC said...

well, fog machines great.... pirate metal great.... Pirate costume check..... thunder? hmmmm i do have 2 12 inch subs hanging around hooked up to a 1600 watt amp. Just gimmie a portable car charger, a laptop, and some wire adapters and that can happen.... ok ya well i've been drinking so ya thats why this is a little strange....

R we there yet? said...

I will be at Mellwood Saturday...it's gonna be COLD! I'm waiting to hear when some others will be there. It's way more fun to work in groups...

stevesquall said...

If the cold keeps up will anyone actually show up for an outdoor unveiling?

P to the A to the SCALLE said...

I'll be there tomorrow around noon to hammer in the typewriter keys! Hopefully it will be nice out.

brian h. jones said...

I know of at least twenty people who'll show up for an unveiling! Again, do we want to perhaps look at finals week instead of the last day of class? It would give us about a week more to get details finished up and to make bigger plans for the "opening". I'll be there tomorrow, maybe around 11:30. See you then...and wear your long undies.

Julie said...

I think that pushing the unveiling to finals week is a great idea.

Adam said...

I'll be there tomorrow morning for a couple hours and again sunday. I think pushing the date back is probably a good idea.

Sarrah said...

I'll try to see if I can come by tomorrow, but I work at 2pm to 10 pm tomorrow. so if I drop by say 1:30 I won't be able to stay for hours and hours.

Sarrah said...

I meant to say 11:30, sorry