Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pre-Halloween

Kristy working on the stained glass window.
Hmmm....
RED!!!  That's a showroom color for sure.
Kristy, Randy, and Ben surveying the logistics of bumper removal.
Ben crawling under the van to unlock the back bumper.

When I got to Mellwood today, there was a crew working on the stained glass window and the side of the van was getting a coat of RED!!!  It's a very bright red, even I can see that it's red, which is pretty good for someone whose visual history has not included that hue. RED!!! Something will happen to it I'm sure....I hope.....there is a plan, right?

Kristy and I finished it up after I got back with two more cans of RED!  Ben and Randy stopped by to pull the back bumper and haul it over to the studio on campus.  Ben's casts are looking really good, although I've only seen a few, I'm confident that there'll be two impressive 3-D tableaux of Debra's face and Ben's hands adorning those bumpers after all is said and done.

Samantha came by with all kinds of goodies that she and Pasqualle found at Goodwill, and a very generous supply of studio materials donated by Preston Art Center, Inc.  We should be able to really tackle the interior with this full palette of colors.  Thanks, Prestons!!

I will be doing portfolio reviews at Manual High School tomorrow, so I'll be scarce around Mellwood.  However, tomorrow looks to be a very warm day and with those friendly temperatures, I'm hopeful that many of you will be over making a big dent, maybe you could take a break to run by Galerie Hertz to see my exhibition.

We still need more rooftop still-life materials, and those of you who are going to work with Scott on getting that put together might run up to his office tomorrow and see if he can come down to the space and give you some pointers.  It may also be a good idea to put it together before it all gets painted as contact/adhesive points may not hold as well if it's all painted gold beforehand, although those points could be sanded.

One last thought, try to be more mindful of the prep work you're doing especially if you're spraying paint.  Kristy and I had to redo some areas that were not masked out or that were masked too much.  Part of the hood had to be repainted, a tire, part of the roof, the windows scraped. Rather than having to do a lot of back-tracking, think through what you're doing so as not to interfere with someone else's work. It'll save us a lot of time. 

6 comments:

brian h. jones said...

It's Saturday, the weather is warm and sunny, and Debra, Adam, and I worked on the car for a while. Debra is helping out with a sculptural element for the roof top. She'll be working with chicken wire and spray foam. Adam was still working on the white side when I left, masking it out and spraying it RED, of course there are now new things happening on the original red side, so it's much more interesting.

Professor Deb said...

Yes, it was a beautiful day. Brian and I worked on spray painting a pattern on the side with a stencil. It looks cool, because it optically shifts a bit. We also went to Lowes' and bought some items for the project. While we were there, Brian explained the Steampunk theme which I thought was really great --especially as a fan of the film "Brazil"and an enthusiast of "Myst". Also, as a child, I loved the science fiction of Jules Verne and all the films that were based on his books. Anyway, what I great theme to use for the interior! But when I looked inside, I saw rainbows -- and that's not Steampunk at all. What happened? Didn't everyone agree on the theme, and if so, why are some people doing what they feel like (rather than what was discussed by the group)? What's up with that? One of the reason these senior projects exist is to allow for at least one experience in your fine arts education that deals with collaboration. Collaboration is "real world" -- it is a big part of how artists work -- as designers, as teachers in a department, as colleagues working on a grant, etc., etc. Sometimes we are afraid to criticize or stop someone from doing something that wasn't according to plan -- but if you don't stop someone who's taking a divergent course, the project suffers. That's not to say great things aren't happening with this project, and I'm seeing some beautiful things with the window and the face casts (I hope). And it also looks like some great team work has been taking place with the gold mannequin parts, as well as all the prepping for paint for the exterior and interior decoration. I am excited about what the end result will look like -- and like I have said, the Steampunk theme is very fun and makes me smile.

brian h. jones said...

Professor Deb is right. If there was a majority agreement about the steampunk interior, stick with that theme. There's all kinds of brassy things there to mess around with and the painting skills of some of you should produce some interesting imagery on the interior. The exterior has a more eclectic approach that will contrast nicely with the interior. Use your creativity, your skills, your ingenuity.

The weather this past weekend was beautiful, thanks to laurel and Adam for working on the van. (Adam on Saturday, Laurel on Sunday). I hope tomorrow bring lots of help, and lots of materials.

P to the A to the SCALLE said...

The cockpit is painted gold! We need one more can of gold paint though; there are a few spots left to touch up.

Any ideas on "aging" or antiquing the gold? Sam thinks shoe polish and clear coat will work.

I think recessing the little jewelry box cabinet into the lower dash would be pretty cool too; what could we use to do that? Dremel tool?

brian h. jones said...

There's another can of gold in a box in the garage space. I hope you wore a dust mask?

Shoe polish may dissolved the spray paint since it's petroleum based, or at least my shoe polish is. You may want to experiment with acrylic paints - or try the shoe polish and see what it does.

P to the A to the SCALLE said...

I couldn't find the gold in the garage, we all pitched in and got some of the $9 spraypaint from the art shop upstairs XD But good to know! We'll use that next time.

Acrylic is a good idea, we can try that. I've got the GPS's hairstyle setting up right now, she's very stylish.