Saturday, December 6, 2008

WINDING DOWN


Debra detailing the clearcoat.
Ben finishing up the brush antenna.
Stripes extended to the hood.

Yesterday and today (Friday/Saturday) were intense working days, about seven hours each. Several stopped by to add to the process and we had a lot of major things accomplished, but several were missed in the course of the work which was pretty disappointing.  The mannequin still life got mounted/bolted onto the roof, as well as the eyeball.  Jamie instructed us through the first phase and we were able to get through the second after he left for work.  The difficult part was cutting the 36" screws that were hanging down through the roof.  Debra went to Home Depot and rented a thing that cuts through such stuff, plier like device so big, so heavy that we were like lilliputians trying to negotiate this enormous plier. It had to weight 30 pounds! Now we have to figure out how to get the clipped screws capped with some kind or ornamentation.

Amanda, Nate, and Adam came by and worked for a while getting the carpet cut out, but there's a lot that still needs to be done to get that installed.  Amanda brought some heavier carpet that we thought might be workable but it wasn't long enough to cover the van so we decided to use it as a base for the blue carpet which has needed some extra body anyway. Laurel came by to say "hi" and see where we were. Kaitlin worked on the roster decal that lists all of those who are part of this project. The antenna brush was completed and Ben also did finishing touches on the front and back bumpers: he didn't like the way I had slopped paint on his ceramic pieces. Debra was a huge help over the past two days. She finished clear coating the interior, and she rented a turbo heater that kept us warm on Friday and Saturday (sadly, it was returned to home depot today).  She was a really big help in mounting the roof stuff and I think she'll come by on Sunday for a bit of foaming and painting on the rooftop.

I hope there's a crew who can come over tomorrow (Sunday) to help get some of these details finished up and start getting the space cleaned up (bring a few garbage bags with you).  We'll be working until Wednesday evening before we bring the van to campus.  Annie, any news on the parachute?  

 

3 comments:

P to the A to the SCALLE said...

Sounds like you guys have made a lot of progress =) I'll have to catch up when I get mobile again!

stevesquall said...

Sorry I didn't make it today. I ran into some black ice on my way out there and introduced my car to the concrete median before being rear-ended by car behind me. I decided to call it a day after that.

brian h. jones said...

Gosh, Steve, I'm really sorry to read this. I hope you're ok and I don't blame you for "calling it a day". We'll see you tomorrow at class time on campus, I hope.

We did make some very good progress this past weekend. AND....OK, now I get it, P to the A to the SCALLE. If anyone needs me, I'll be in that spider-hole in the corner.